Saturday, March 19, 2016

Inside Trinity's Softball Team: Rebecca Berreth

By Sara McCarty

For two consecutive weeks recently, the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference named Trinity softball player Rebecca Berreth Hitter of the Week.

Berreth earned the title for the weeks of February 29 and March 7 for her outstanding statistics. So far this season, which started on February 19, she has had 22 runs batten in, three homeruns, while sporting a .487 batting average.

Off the field, Berreth also stands out as a student athlete taking on a demanding major, neuroscience.



Many student athletes tend to eschew majors like engineering or biology that require intense academic work, out of concerns for the difficulty in balancing school and sports. Berreth, a sophomore, met the challenge head-on.

She made the decision during her second semester at Trinity. “I took a biology class taught by a neuroscience professor, and I really enjoyed his class. That’s what influenced me to pursue this major [neuroscience],” she says.

Softball practice and games plus neuroscience homework can be overwhelming to anyone, but Berreth seems to have it all under control.

Berreth says that she is able to manage her time very well precisely because of softball, which gives her a structure of allotting time for practice, homework, sorority presence, and having time for herself. The key is planning.

“I use a planner to plan everything,” she says. “I like to be really structured. I write everything down so I know what I need to get done each day.”

Sabrina Nieto, a sophomore and Berreth’s teammate, calls Berreth “really fun, but responsible. She knows her priorities and makes sure she gets done what needs to be, but also doesn’t let it take over her life.”

Still, Berreth cherishes every time she steps out on the softball field, a sport she has been playing ever since she was 6. “When I look back I’m not going to remember the hits I got. I’m going to remember the memories I’ve made with my teammates,” she says.

The Trinity University softball team has been playing well in conference with a 9-3 record so far, and Berreth has been dominating the offense.

Stephanie Crumrine, a freshman player, sees Berreth as a leader on the team, “She is very consistent offensively and defensively and that is something that I look up to her for.”

Team chemistry is essential in softball. With 22 people on the team this season, the team chemistry is really good , Berreth says. “We have a big team, and everyone clicks really well, which makes it fun.”

For now, Berreth is focusing on working with her team to prepare for their upcoming home game against Schreiner University on March 25 and 26.

Update: the story was updated to reflect the following correction: Trinity softball team will play Schreiner University on March 25 and 26, not University of Dallas on March 19 and 20.  

No comments:

Post a Comment